Almost every week a new item hits the news about compromised computer systems and stolen passwords. Do you know that passwords are actually sold on the black market for real money? Why? Because compromised passwords can, and are, being used to steal real money from internet users.
compromised passwords are being used to steal real money
Here is just one recent news item: Millions of stolen passwords and email addresses sold online
Are you at risk?
Yes, if you fit into any of these 3 categories:
- You use the same password on more than one website
- You don’t use a password manager
- You don’t have 2FA (two factor authentication) enabled
Another sobering reminder about why you should never use the same password on more than one website is explained in this video: Password Cracking
How CAN I protect MYSELF?
At the very least:
- Never use the same password on more than one website
- Use a password manager so that you are not overwhelmed with passwords
- Enable 2FA (two factor authentication) on any accounts of yours that support it
Does you or your business need further help on your IT security? Contact us for more information on the consulting services we offer. If you have any questions regarding this article, please let us know below.